Saturday, June 29, 2013

Lowering LDL

LOWERING LDL

A few months ago, I went for my yearly physical and my doctor told me about my LDL at elevated levels. I am quite surprised because I had been eating right and doing exercises. To sum it all up, it was not enough, and LDL, the bad Cholesterol (or "lousy" Cholesterol) is primarily caused by the food we eat.

Doing some research, here are the foods to take to lower LDL. Fiber is the key ingredient.  Increasing the consumption of fiber helps in lowering LDL, the bad cholesterol.


1. Oat.  
Like Oatmeal for breakfast. Cheerios cereal.

2. Barley and whole grains.  
 Found out that there is a 100% Whole Grain stamp.

3. Beans
Navy and Kidney Beans.

4. Eggplant and Okra

5. Nuts
Like Walnuts, Peanuts, Almonds

6. Vegetable Oil
Canola, sunflower.

7. Fruits
Apples. Grapes, Strawberries. Citrus Fruits.

8. Foods with plant sterols and stanols
Granola Bars.

9. Soy. 
Tofu. Soymilk

10. Fatty fish
Like Salmon. Omega-3 rich, lowers LDL.

11. Fiber supplements
Psyllium.


Here is a link to a site that I found ..


http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/October/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol

No comments:

Post a Comment